AFTER seeing the engines in various stages of road testing in recent months, the arrival of the BMW Transcontinental and R 18 B YR 18 B comes as no surprise.
The two engines signal BMW’s move into the heavy-duty touring and cruiser segment, while the German brand appears to be competing with Harley-Davidson and Indian.
In addition to the standard BMW R18, the heavyweight Transcontinental gets the obligatory batwing front fairing and a high screen and wind deflectors and fins. The dashboard contains four round analog instruments and a 10.25-inch TFT color screen, while the nose contains additional lighting. A Marshall sound system is included, along with engine guards, saddlebags and trunk, heated seats, chrome trim and a silver metallic engine. The R18 B has a lower screen in keeping with bagger styling, a slimmer seat, a darkened engine and no top box.
Surprisingly, since BMW added about 50kg to the R18 B (398kg) and over 80kg to the Transcontinental (427kg), the engine of the two bikes seems relatively unchanged. The 1,802cc engine has a 107.1mm bore and 100mm stroke. Engine power is 67 kW (91 hp) at 4,750 rpm and peak torque of 158 Nm (116 lb-ft) is available from 3,000 rpm.
Features of the BMW R18 Transcontinental and R 18 B:
- Handlebar mounted fairing
- High windshield (R 18 Transcontinental)
- Low windshield (R 18 B)
- Suitcases in body color paint finish (27 litres, with audio 26.5 litres)
- Vibration-decoupled top box with body color paint finish
(48 litres, with audio 47 litres, R 18 Transcontinental only)
- Body color wind deflectors (R 18 Transcontinental only)
- 24 liter fuel tank.
- Power 67 kW (91 hp) at 4,750 rpm, maximum torque 158 Nm at 3,000 rpm
- Maximum torque of 150 Nm (116 lb-ft)
- Closed axle drive swingarm in rigid frame design
- Telescopic fork with fork sleeves and cantilever strut with ride-dependent damping and automatic load compensation
- Disc brakes front and rear and alloy wheels
- Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC) standard
- Active Cruise Control (ACC): Cruise control with integrated distance control for relaxed driving as a factory option.
- adaptive flashing light
- Engine protection (R18 Transcontinental only)
- Standard seat heating (R 18 Transcontinental only)
- Standard heated handles
- keyless contact
- Three driving modes as standard plus ASC and MSR.