The average brake rotor replacement cost is between $200 and $600, depending on car model and finish. The average price of the parts is: $150 up $400 and the average labor cost is $50 to $200
- It is recommended to replace other parts at the same time as the brake discs, such as the brake pads for example.
- The replacement costs of brake discs differ per front or rear axle.
Average Brake Rotor Replacement Cost
|front brake discs||Below: $200||Average: $400||High: $600|
|rear brake discs||Below: $150||Average: $300||High: $500|
Brake rotor replacement costs per car model
These are the average costs for replacing brake discs by car model and model year. Different car models have different brakes based on different engine types. The price may vary depending on the engine type and model year.
|car model||rear rotors (if equipped)||front rotors||all rotors|
Parts Needed for Replacing the Brake Rotor
|part name||Requires?||All models?||True?|
|New skid plates||Favorite||new||Both|
|Copper or silver paste||Favorite||Yes||Both|
|parking brake shoes||Optional||new||Rear end|
|Parking brake spring set||Optional||new||Rear end|
|handbrake cables||Optional||new||Rear end|
|Brake caliper overhaul kit||Optional||Yes||Both|
Repairs often related to brake rotor replacement
|replacement type:||Price range|
|Brake pad replacement costs||$100 – $150|
|Parking brake shoe replacement cost||$100 – $300|
|Parking brake cable replacement cost||$100 up $250|
|Brake caliper replacement costs:||$150 up $400|
Tips from a Mechanic for Replacing Brake Discs
- Always replace the brake pads at the same time as replacing the brake disc.
- Make sure the caliper slide pins, caliper piston and pads move freely when assembling.
- When you replace rear brake discs, the parking brake shoes sometimes use the inside of the brake disc as a friction area. If this is the case for your car model, you should consider replacing the parking brake shoes at the same time.
- When replacing the rear brake discs, always make sure that the parking brake cables can move freely.
- Some brake rotor replacements require new slide pins, electronic brake parts, so make sure you have all of these parts when calculating your brake rotor replacement cost.
What is a brake rotor?
A brake disc is one of the most important parts of car brakes. The caliper pushes the brake pads towards the brake rotor. This creates high friction which in turn helps you to bring your car to a stop quickly and safely.
How serious is a brake rotor failure?
Brake rotor failures should be taken very seriously. With a bad brake rotor, you can lose all the brakes on your car and cause a serious accident and even death. Replace brake discs if they are defective and never take any risks with your brakes.
How often should brake discs be replaced?
The term for replacing brake discs largely depends on the model of your car and your driving style. For most car models, it is recommended to replace the brake discs with replacement brake pads. But if you ride aggressively, you may need to replace your brake discs every time you change your pads.
OBD codes associated with a brake rotor replacement
|5F12: DSC Brake Pad Wear – Front Axle|
|5F15 DSC Brake Pad Wear – Rear Axle|